Develop your players passing on the run, changing angles and base passing (passing off the ground), while still maintain some social distancing. MORE
Develop the front-line 9
The scrum-half usually plays a sweeper role. But if your first line of defence is missing a player, he might have to step up to cover. Improve your 9’s defensive decision-making with this activity.
When the opposition attack from quick ball, your 9 might have to go forward to plug a gap in your defensive line.
- Put five attackers and four defenders plus a 9 on one side of the field.
- Number the defenders 1 to 4.
- On your whistle, one attacker goes to the first ball while the other four align ready to attack down the field.
- The defenders sprint into position to create a defensive wall, with the 9 sweeping behind.
- After 3 seconds, blow the whistle again. The attack now aims to beat the defence inside the first set of 20m cones.
- Use touch tackling.
- On a further whistle, the attackers move to the next cone.
- At the same time, callout which defender drops out, so leaving an overlap.
- The defending 9 must decide whether to step in.
- If possible, the attack aims to run a forward against the 9.
- On the next whistle, the attack moves to the next cone and a new number is called.
- The previous player rejoins the game.
The 9 faces two decisions:
- Does he continue to sweep once the team is a player down?
- Does he step into the line at the guard position (close to the ruck) or go elsewhere?