If you are able to train, then you will be aiming to improve your players’ skills and tactical appreciation around specific areas of the game. If you are in lockdown, it’s a chance to hone your session planning in readiness for your return. MORE
Defend against attackers
U7 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 2
ACTIVITY: TAG BULLDOG
- Three defenders are spread out in the middle of the area. The rest of the players – the attackers – start at one end. Attackers must either be carrying a ball or have their hands clasped together to represent holding a ball.
- When you say “go”, all of the attackers run into the area. Their aim is to get to the far end without being tagged by a defender.
- If an attacker is either tagged, goes outside the area, uses a fend to prevent the tag being ripped off, or does not hold the ball in two hands, he becomes a defender.
- Run the game up and down the area until the last player is tagged. Make sure everyone has a go as a defender.
- When the game is over, ask the defenders whether they think it’s better to defend together in a line or as individuals to see if they understand the benefit of teamwork.
What you say
“Chase the ball carrier”
“Get close to the ball carrier”
How many players do I need?
You can run this activity with nine or more players. If you have upwards of 20 players, run two games side by side.
You will need
- 1 ball per attacker (or hands clasped together)
- 4 cones
- Bibs (optional)
- 1 tag belt for each player