Your 22m area is the opposition’s team “red zone” and most likely place for them to score points. Use this activity to help your players work harder than the attack and squeeze them out. This activity builds the idea before putting into a game realistic situation. MORE
Defend against attackers
U7 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 2
ACTIVITY: TAG BULLDOG
- Three defenders are spread out in the middle of the area. The rest of the players – the attackers – start at one end. Attackers must either be carrying a ball or have their hands clasped together to represent holding a ball.
- When you say “go”, all of the attackers run into the area. Their aim is to get to the far end without being tagged by a defender.
- If an attacker is either tagged, goes outside the area, uses a fend to prevent the tag being ripped off, or does not hold the ball in two hands, he becomes a defender.
- Run the game up and down the area until the last player is tagged. Make sure everyone has a go as a defender.
- When the game is over, ask the defenders whether they think it’s better to defend together in a line or as individuals to see if they understand the benefit of teamwork.
What you say
“Chase the ball carrier”
“Get close to the ball carrier”
How many players do I need?
You can run this activity with nine or more players. If you have upwards of 20 players, run two games side by side.
You will need
- 1 ball per attacker (or hands clasped together)
- 4 cones
- Bibs (optional)
- 1 tag belt for each player