Shuffling and cross-over steps are essential skills for a defender to react to a change of direction of an attacker. Work on these in the development of your players’ tackling progression. MORE
Defend against attackers
U8 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 1
ACTIVITY: TAG THE RUNNERS
- Put a defender in the middle of the area. Put a group of three attackers on each corner of the area and number the groups 1 to 4.
- The aim is for the attackers to run to the opposite try line without being tagged by the defender.
- Shout out any number from 1 to 4. The attacker on that corner runs out and attempts to get across the area without being tagged. He is not allowed outside the area. If he goes outside or is tagged, the defender gets one point.
- As soon as the attacker reaches his line, goes out of the area or gets tagged, shout out another number.
- Play for 30 seconds, with attackers returning to their starting points after each run. See how many points the defender can score. Make sure everyone has a go as the defender.
What you say
“Decide whether to chase the ball carrier”
“Get close to the ball carrier”
How many players do I need?
You can start with 13 players (three on each corner and one defender) but you can load up the corners with more attackers if necessary.
You will need
- 4 cones
- 1 tag belt for each attacker
- 1 bib for the defender