Against expansive teams, work out who is the weakest attacker and target him by closing him down when he gets the ball. Then turn him over and counter attack. MORE
Create chaos within an organised defensive line by using your decoy runners and inside support players to stress their tacklers.
- Put three ruck pad holders at the far end of the box
- Have a feeder pass the ball to 10, who engages the first pad holder
- 12 arcs out behind 13 while 11 runs an inside line
- 13 runs out, then in and attacks just outside the middle ruck pad holder
- Timing of runs: 12 off 13, 13 off 10, 11 off 12
- 10 passes behind 13, though 13 must be an option until the pass is made
- 13 aims between the defenders
- 12 turns for the space and 11 remains an option on the inside
- 13 gets between the defenders
- Note that 10 should aim to get a second touch on the ball
- Depending where the defender goes, 12 can go for the gap or turn the ball back inside for 11
By giving the first receiver (normally 10) lots of inside, outside, back and front options, he can pull the defence out of position and pass to break the gain line. The key is the timing.
A 25m x 15m box, three ruck pads and a ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Set up four attackers and a feeder (F) opposite three ruck pad holders. One ruck pad holder marks the ball carrier. (10) The other ruck pad holders cover the rest of the players (see picture 1).
- 10 takes the ball up to the tackle line – just in front of the advancing ruck pad holders – and releases one of the players. They run the lines as in pictures 2 and 3.
- Once through the pads, the receiver has to pass to another player, so it is important that all the players are aware of who they are supporting.
- The decoy runner (13) has to be a credible threat. If he takes the ball, the original ball carrier is the nearest support runner. The decoy runner takes his timing off the first receiver.
- 13 aims to get between the defenders if he is missed, to distort their covering lines.
- 12 takes his timing from 13, 11 third takes his from 12.
- 11 aims for the corner flag.