We take a traditional 2 v 1 exercise and add in two elements, a random starting position for the defender and forcing the ball carrier to change their line twice. MORE
Cut the line or go blind to beat the blitz
Develop a tactic to beat their blitz, using this activity to attack short and then play. The first attack aims to get to the gain line quickly. The second attack goes before the blitz is reset.
If their defence comes up quickly, attack short with numbers and from the quick ball, go open or blind to shut down their line speed. A good tactic to use from slow ruck ball as well.
- From a ruck set up with cones, a 9 feeds three forwards coming onto a pass at pace.
- The forwards crash into the ruck pads and present the ball quickly.
- The 9 immediately clears to the 10, who is either side of the ruck depending on the defence or a pre-determined call.
- The ruck-pad holders aim to get to the ball carrier before he crosses the gain line and they come from out-to-in.
- The attack can also switch the attack and go back the other way.
- Develop by taking away the ruck pads from the outside players.
- Also, work the play from a set piece, where a back takes the ball in or a forward, (from a shortened lineout) and the nearest backs have to clear out the ruck pads.
- Flat passes to get to the gain line quickly.
- At least two players into the contact area to win the ball.
- Reload in attack quickly to beat the defence into position.
- 9 clears immediately.