Create a competition to get to the line, with the attacker either using speed or evasive skills to beat a defender coming from a different angle. This easy to set up activity can be run as a breakout from games or as a large group in lots of boxes. Mix up the players so sometimes... MORE
Counter attack Ts and Cs
Improve your players’ understanding of their roles to make sure you can retrieve kicks and attack space when in possession. Play with your Terms and Conditions, not the kicking teams’.
When a team kicks into space, the defending team needs to communicate and fan out so it can run back at spaces.
- Put a player at each point of the “T” shape of tackle tubes, on one knee.
- Roll out a ball and the players chase back.
- The first player to get to the ball goes to ground to pick the ball up, gets to their feet as fast as possible.
- The two supporting players run supporting lines to attack back where they came from.
- Each player must handle the ball – then hand it back to the coach.
- NOTE – don’t throw the ball too far away as this makes the game much more dynamic.
- Put three attackers in a line 10m apart in an area as wide as you wish. Put two defenders 15m behind them.
- You kick/throw the ball to start the game and all players chase at the same time.
- The nearest player goes to ground as support players communicate to them where the defence is coming from.
- As the player gets up, they make a pass to the unmarked player OR keep the ball if the defenders move off them.
- The aim is to score a try where you kicked/threw the ball from.
- Shout who’s going for the ball.
- Communicate who’s in position to take the next pass.
- Communicate where to run.