Develop your players’ ability to get back to their feet quickly after making a tackle. This will improving the players’ understanding of the importance of getting back in the game as quickly as possible MORE
Counter attack randoms
Develop attackers’ ability to realign after a chase to retrieve the ball and then attack a different type of defence each time. Challenge the defenders to organise on the run too. By Dan Cottrell
- Three defenders (A,B,C), each which a number allocated to them
- Four attackers, in a two and two, run back to retrieve a ball
- Roll a die
- DIE FACES EXAMPLES
- 1 Just A 2 A and B 3 A, B and C 4 B and C 5 Just B 6 A and C
- If no die, then spread out six cones, give each one a number and tread on it to start
- The defenders nominated by die roll run out
- The attackers run forward, aiming to score at the far end.
- The go finishes on an infringement or if the ball carrier is tackled in possession
SPECIAL POWERS EXAMPLES
- One defender can go for an interception at any time to finish all the attackers’ turns
- One attacker has three seconds to pass the ball after the touch
Connect in attack and defence to pressurise.
A 30m box, a large foam die.
With no die, put out six cones very close together and step on one of them.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put four attackers inside the box, as in the top picture, facing away from three defenders, and a ball at the far end. (You can use four defenders if you want).
- Allocate numbers to the defenders.
- Roll the die as you shout go. The attackers retrieve the ball and attack. The defenders are released depending on the number.
- If the ball carrier is touched, the go is over, and the players reset.
- Give the attackers five attempts before swapping roles.
- Give players special powers. Give them a different coloured bib (or headband) to indicate which is which.
- One defender can intercept. If they do, that’s the end of the attackers attempts.
- One defender is the “cruncher”. If they touch the ball carrier, that’s the end of the attackers’ attempts.
- One attacker is allowed to run for three seconds after the touch before passing the ball.
- One attacker is allowed to go offside after the first pass is made. They can receive a kick to score.
- Organise on the run.
- Target the weak points.