The defender who’s very low and over the ball at the tackle area is very difficult to remove. If you decide not to coach the “croc roll”, what are your alternatives. MORE
Place and protect the ball
U10 | CONTACT 2
Get the tackled player to place the ball back and the support player to get in a strong position
- Put a defender on one knee to the side of one of the cones. Have a ball carrier and a support player lying on their fronts about 3m back from the cones.
- The ball carrier gets to his feet and jogs forward. As he reaches the cones, the defender moves forward and makes a tackle. The ball carrier goes to ground and places the ball.
- The support player comes up behind the ball carrier and gets in position over the placed ball, ready to protect it from any potential defenders.
- Swap roles, and have the tackle come from the other side.
- Develop by having the support player pick up the ball and adding another defender who challenges for the ball.
You will need
- 2 cones 2m apart
- 1 ball for every three players
Got more players?
Add as many groups of three as you can fit in.
What to tell your players
“Push the ball back towards your team mate after the tackle, but under control”
“When in support, keep low and balanced over the ball carrier on the ground”