Use this warm-up activity to improve awareness, catching, looking up and speed of thought. MORE
Dynamic ball placement
Good ball placement is non-negotiable. It reduces the risk of a turnover, allows the next players to clear threats quickly and enables the 9 to clear the ball fast. Use this activity to get it spot on.
Accurate ball placement will stop defenders reaching in to steal the ball.
- Start with two players about 2m apart passing the ball between each other.
- When you say “go”, the current ball carrier steps forward and wrestles the ball to the ground as the opposite player grabs him.
- As the carrier goes to ground, he presents the ball back in the best possible way (for instance, long placement).
- Develop by having a support player for each player on their fronts about 2m behind them.
- When you shout “go”, the ball carrier runs forward to be tackled by the non-ball carrier.
- The carrier should only take one step to the side.
- At the same time, the support players get to their feet to enter the contest.
- The ball carrier aims to twist back and place the ball towards his own try line.
- Develop further by placing the support players in different starting points.