Being accurate with your ball receipt at kick-offs and drop-outs will consolidate your game. So help your players develop their catching, realignment and passing skills with this simple activity. MORE
Build up to contact
Get your players ready for contact with low impact, fun exercises that build up the intensity. You are not looking for big hits here just preparing them for what will happen later.
WARM UP 1
- Players in the press-up position facing each other with their heads touching.
- The aim is for each player to knock the other’s hands away so he falls to the ground.
- This exercise readies the core and warms up shoulders.
WARM UP 2
WARM UP 3
- Players stand chest to chest with their arms wrapped around each other.
- They wrestle each other to the ground, aiming to get the other onto his back in a controlled manner.
- In the 3m square, the attacker has the ball.
- The defender tries to wrestle it from him and if he cannot, he tries to pull/drive the ball carrier out of the box.
- Work for 15 seconds then switch. Do this four times each.
Wrestling: When players are taking part in these exercises – especially younger players – it is vital they have a good grip on each other but ensure they do not slam each other into the ground – it must be controlled.