The defender who’s very low and over the ball at the tackle area is very difficult to remove. If you decide not to coach the “croc roll”, what are your alternatives. MORE
Attack what you see
U13–U16 | CONTACT 4
Get your attackers making decisions about how many players are needed to exploit an attacking situation.
- Mark out a 15m x 10m area and divide it into three 5m channels. Number the channels 1, 2 and 3.
- Put five defenders on the line facing channel 2 and five attackers with a ball on the opposite line facing channel 1.
- You call out how many defenders are needed, in this case “two”, and that number run into channel 1.
- Attackers then need to communicate with each other and decide how many players they need to score a try at the far end of the channel. That many attackers then enter the channel and attempt to score. Defenders use full tackling to defend their line.
- After five seconds, shout “change” and the attackers run to the start of channel 2 – you then shout a new number of defenders needed and they enter channel 2 and the drill repeats.
You will need
- A 15m x 10m area split into three 10m x 5m channels
- 1 ball
Got more players?
Set up another 15m x 10m area and run another game alongside
What to tell your players
“Use passing and offloads if there are low numbers of defenders.
“In contact, look to clear out the threats”