Use great footwork and leg drive to break through defences while ensuring support players are on hand to take a quick pass beyond the initial contact. Get the ball carrier to run the right angles to attack the gap between defenders, smash through the tackle and then offload to their support players. The support players will learn the best lines to receive the offload. MORE
ABC: Agility before contact
U11–U12 | CONTACT 2
Help your players manage the ball in contact and win the collision
- Set out a 3m square area. Put an attacker and defender facing each other on opposite sides of the area and a feeder on one side of the area.
- When you say “go”, the feeder passes the ball to the attacker who attempts to get to the opposite side of the area. If he is tackled, he must present the ball properly.
- Move the game on by having the attacker facing away from the defender before turning to receive the ball. This means he will have to react quicker to avoid the defender.
- Finally, move to the 5m x 3m area and put two attackers against two defenders with a feeder at the side.
- When you say “go”, the feeder can pass to either of the attackers. The attacker then tries to get to the far end. He can pass, offload or be driven forward by his team mate.
You will need
- A 3m square area and a 5m x 3m area
- 1 ball
Got more players?
Set up more small square areas and get players working on their 1v1s.
What to tell your players
“Take short steps to stay balanced”
“Keep the ball away from the defender”
“Keep moving forward if you can”