I coach boys ages 14-18, they have the skills and ability...but so often they play like scared kittens. How can I build fire and desire in my players? MORE
Close support for the contact area
Retain more possession in the tackle contest to generate more quick ball. Make the nearest support player to the ball carrier get closer and make better decisions. This works well in close quarters where there are lots of defenders.
- A ball carrier runs at the edge of a ruck pad, going to ground on contact
- The close support player drives away the pad
- Develop by the support player latching on or ripping the ball away
- Two attackers run through one of the gate
- The ball carrier tries to get through the gate (no offloading)
- The non-tackling defender runs back and around to support
- Two attackers have a minute to score tries (2 points) or hold on to the ball in the area for five seconds after contact (1 point). After attacking one end, they turn and attack the other end. They must stay inside the area
Improve awareness and communication skills at the tackle contest.
Cones, a ruck pad and ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put a ball carrier and support player about 5m away from a ruck-pad holder.
- Get the ball carrier to run forward, step either side of the ruck pad holder and go to ground.
- The support player has to drive away the ruck pad holder before he has a chance to go over the ball carrier.
- Put defenders in 1m gates spaced about 3m apart. Call out which gate two attackers must go through.
- The ball carrier aims to get through the gate while the defender tackles him. The other defender runs back to a cone 5m behind before supporting his team mate.
- The close support player needs to decide how best to support the ball carrier. Do not allow offloads.
- Put two attackers in the middle of an 8m x 4m box and two defenders at each end of it.
- Give the attackers one minute to score as many points as possible. They run at the defenders.
- If they score a try they get two points. If they make contact but retain the ball for five seconds they get one point.
- If they are tackled out of the box, or lose the ball, they turn and attack the other way.
- Defenders can only come forward once the attackers have crossed the halfway line.