The quality of the chase can define the quality of the kick. Work on “killing” the options available to the receiving team, thus pressurising them into mistakes or poor returns. MORE
Catch me if you can: GAME-ACTIVITIES-GAME
Improve your players’ spatial awareness, evasion and handling skills. Start with a fun game, break out into skills activities and then finish with another game.
Good habits survive under pressure. Keep your players motivated to constantly work at the basics with these competitive activities and games.
- Split your squad into three groups, and then make two groups the attackers and the other group defenders.
- On your signal the attackers move into the box, collect a ball and try to get as many of the balls into the scoring area.
- The ball can be passed.
- The defenders move into the area at the same time and try to touch tackle the attackers.
- If caught, the attacker places his ball on the ground and stands in the prison area.
- He can be released by another attacker tagging him with a ball.
- The game continues until all the balls are in the scoring area or all the attackers are in the prison.
- Rotate the players around.
Break out into a sidestepping activity and a 3 v 1 keep ball activity.
- The defender runs out when the attacker starts and aims to make a two-handed touch.
- The attacker aims for the far line.
- Play 3 v 1 in a small area, starting with all the players outside the area.
- Run for 30 seconds, and count how many passes are made.
- Play 6 v 6 In the larger box using two balls for the attacking team.
- Start with touch rugby before developing it into full contact.
- Pass and move – keep in the game.
- Look for space in support.
- Attack space with the ball in hand.