Help players understand when and how to run onto the pass to create pace into your game and crucially, better go-forward. MORE
Use a flag pole to help players to find the best height to arrive at the contact area. The lower they arrive, the easier it is to win the contest over the ball.
The pole creates a strong visual cue. It helps players get used to dipping down to the right height.
- Stand with a flag pole next to a ruck pad with a ball. Have two groups of players either side of you, about 5m away.
- Call a player from one of the groups. They run round, square up and go under the pole, stepping over the ruck pad and ball.
- Sometimes call out two at a time. Adjust the height of the pole to create different challenges.
- Put four attackers at one side of the middle of the box and another, with a ball on the other side. Put two defenders in front of one defender at one end, and one in front of another at the other end.
- Shout which way to go and the ball carrier has to run down the narrow box to get to the far end. He must not allow himself to be tackled out of the box.
- The other attackers have to ensure that he does not lose the ball in contact. Stop when there is clean ball from the back of the ruck or the attack lose the ball.
- Dip low and early and rise up into contact.
- Keep your eyes open and looking ahead.
- Keep the legs active and driving forward through the contact area.