Denis Betts, former head coach of Rugby League side Widnes, spent four years as a rugby union skills coach at Gloucester. Here he shares his thoughts. MORE
Beat the lone runner
Use this passing game to encourage accurate, fast passing developing into passing at pace, both by going forward and moving the ball laterally.
Lots of passing practice doesn’t reward accurate passing. Unless the pass isn’t executed well, the passing group won’t beat the lone runner.
- Set up as above. Though the players here are 2m apart, adjust the distances to suit players.
- The “runner” starts by passing to the first player in the line. He then sprints around the back and towards the gate inside the final receiver.
- The runner aims to get through this gate before the last pass is made to intercept the pass.
- In the meantime, the other players pass the ball along the line, aiming for the ball to reach the end receiver before the runner gets around to the last gate.
- Develop by having the passers moving forward as they pass.
- Hands up to receive the ball.
- Keep the ball off your chest.
- Follow through to the target.