Get defenders off balance and less effective by making them commit to one tackling line while attacking another. You can do this by varying your angle of attack. MORE
Rugby coaching session to teach the miss 12 double loop backs move
Miss 12 double loop
This backs move is best from the opposition half, but not too close to the try line because valuable ground could be lost if the move goes slightly wrong.
Why it works
- The first “miss pass” pulls out the defenders.
- The “loop” by 12 further pulls another defender to mark him as the extra man.
- 10 creates an extra player, with 13 passing into the space between him and the looping 12.
- In effect, this move creates two extra players for the defence to cover.
Good if you have
- A quick 10.
- Already taken the ball up with 13, especially from a “miss pass”.
- Already used a “loop pass” from 13 to 12.
- Identified a weak defender in the 13 channel.
What players should do
- 10 passes to 13, then follows 12 behind 13 to take a “pop pass” on the outside of 13’s shoulder.
- 12 runs forwards briefly before “looping” behind 13, but running a wider “arc” to allow space for 10 to come in between 13’s “outside shoulder” and 12’s “inside shoulder”.
- 13 runs forwards to receive the pass from 10, then delays a “loop pass” until 10 has run behind and around their “outside shoulder”.
- 13 runs away with the pass making it difficult for 10 to make it around in time.
- 13 runs too quickly towards the defence, again making the pass more difficult.
- 13 passes without knowing 10 has made it around. There needs to be good communication to indicate 10’s imminent arrival.
- 13 running towards the opposition 12 initially, before straightening up.
- 13 performing a “dummy wide pass” before passing to 10.
- 13 going themselves if their defender moves on to 10, so needs to have some momentum when reaching the “tackle line”.
Click the link to order 50 Great Backs Moves, a practical, easy-to-use manual of try-scoring tactics and ways to coach them.
Click the link for eight rugby coaching tips to get your team scoring more tries.