Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
Back pocket session: Tackle ball gauntlet
Use this session to get your players tackling in a competitive environment. Quick to set up, it’s part of our back pocket favourites, activities you can use to re-energise your session.
This game really gets the team spirit and competition juices flowing and can bring out a number of coachable points, or just be played for fun to re-energise the session. It can really help develop decision making, the need to compete for the ball, defend under pressure and develop evasive play.
- Position players on opposite sides of the channel, in numbered pairs, facing each other on their fronts (or facing away from the channel if it’s wet).
- Punt, throw or roll a ball into the channel and at the same time call a number of one of the pairs.
- They get to their feet quickly and race to compete for the ball.
- The player that wins the ball must then turn and look to score a try back on the try line.
- They might have to wrestle or rip the ball before carrying on.
- One point for a try and one point if the defensive player stops the attack by tackling the attacker, or drives him into touch.
- Get to the feet fast – driving the hips from the ground to bring both feet up and under the body – like standing from a “burpee”.
- Positioning so as to push the attacker across to one touchline.
For more from Alister, visit typhoonrugbyclub