Subscriber question: I have to produce a 40-minute session for a level 2 course – it concerns a 2 v 2 support loop using whole-part-whole. Can you give me some ideas on how to approach it? MORE
VIDEO: Realignment and attack from quick ruck
Realign quickly after a quick ruck and attack where there are mismatches. This dynamic scenario activity can cover a wide range of skills and techniques.
- Put two attackers on their knees, with a ball at their feet, with four attackers ready to receive a pass from a feeder.
- Put a defender in front of the kneeling attackers, and at two ruck-pad holders about 2m behind and to the side.
- Have the feeder pass to one of the waiting attackers, who goes into the ruck pads and presents the ball. Another attacker secures the ball on the ground (rucks over).
- The other attackers realign into a large box at the side, and the feeder passes to these attackers.
- In the meantime, two ruck-pad holders and the other defender move into the large box. The ruck-pad holders can drop their pads or hold onto them, depending on how much contact you want.
- The attack aim to score at the end of the box.
- Adjust the amount of contact according to your players’ needs. The mix of ruck pads will offer different pictures for the players to work to. For example, a contact with ruck-pad holder might mean an immediate offload, or a fend and offload.