Sometimes the players are not perfectly aligned from an attacking ruck and have to adjust their running lines accordingly. This game-like session helps to adjust. This is a good session to mix up forwards and backs. You can also identify decision-makers who happily take on the role of the first receiver. MORE
Understand that you need to pass once tagged
U8 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 6
ACTIVITY: WALKING RUGBY
- Play a game of five attackers v three defenders walking rugby. All the players are only allowed to walk.
- If a player is tagged, he has to pass the ball within one step. The tagger must return the tag before he can defend again.
- Score tries in the normal way. After three tries, change attackers and defenders.
- The attack will find they have to keep the passes moving quickly after the tag to score tries and not bunch up.
What you say
“Pass the ball once you are tagged“
How many players do I need?
You need a minimum of eight players playing 5v3 for this activity but you could also play 6v4 or 7v5.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 4 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each defender