When you dent their line and win a quick ruck, it pays to have a play in your locker to make a decisive break while they’re recovering their shape. Have your 9 run off the forwards with this “loop and give”. MORE
Understand that you must run forward to score tries
U8 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 1
ACTIVITY: SCORE MORE TRIES
- Set up the area as shown. Put a defender on cone A on the try line and a feeder and attacker on the other cone A facing him.
- You call out a letter – in this case “B”. The defender runs to that cone then turns into the area to defend, while the feeder runs to the relevant cone and passes to the attacker who is moving off his line.
- The attacker takes the pass and aims to get over the try line without being tagged by the defender.
- Develop by allowing the attacker to pass the ball back to the feeder if he is tagged. The feeder then becomes a second attacker.
What you say
“Run forward to score tries”
How many players do I need?
You need three players to run this activity. You can line up more player for each position and/or run another game alongside.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 8 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker