Use this continuous 2 v 1 exercise to keep the players thinking and adjusting with slightly different scenarios each time. It will also help develop communication. No 2 v 1 situation is the same, so why train specific situations when you can continually mix it up with this activity. MORE
Support the ball carrier
U7 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 4
ACTIVITY: STOP AND PASS
- Put three players on the start line standing about 3m apart. Place a cone in front of each player – one at 5m, one at 10m and one at 15m.
- Have the first player run out with a ball. When he reaches the cone in front of him, he stops as if he’s been tagged and passes the ball to the next player, who is running slightly behind him.
- The next player runs forward to the cone in front of him and repeats with the last player who runs to the cone in front of him and then on to the end of the area.
- Other groups of three can follow up behind. When all the players have reached the end of the area, they can turn and repeat the activity running back the other way.
- Develop by having the first two players run around to take a pass from the last player (after they have completed their own passes).
What you say
“Get behind the ball carrier”
“Call the name of the ball carrier”
How many players do I need
Three players take part each time. With up to 12 players, have them wait their turn in groups of three. If you have more players, set up two games.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 7 cones