Don’t let your attack become stuck in a one-size-fits-all pod of three players. Test the decision-making skills of the team. The three-player pod allows an additional attacking option to open when the defence doesn’t align to match your attack. MORE
Support the ball carrier
U8 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 4
ACTIVITY: BEAT THE DEFENDERS
- Three defenders stand 8m apart in a line down the centre of the area. Four attackers start outside the area at one end facing the defenders. One attacker starts with a ball.
- The ball carrier runs up the area past the first defender with the other attackers following close behind. The defender tries to tag the attacker, but can only move from side to side.
- If the attacker is tagged by a defender, he immediately passes to his team mate, who should be running alongside. Even if the attacker gets past the defender, he must still pass the ball.
- The attackers continue their run to the end of the area, passing when tagged or when they go past a defender.
- Attackers who make it to the end without being tagged turn and repeat the exercise once the defenders have got back into their starting positions.
- Repeat until everyone has had a go at defending. Develop by having a player only pass when he is actually tagged.
What you say
“Get behind the ball carrier”
“Call the name of the ball carrier”
How many players do I need?
A minimum of seven players. With more than seven, have another attacking group at the other end. Rotate the defenders every run.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 6 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker