Challenge attackers and defenders to play from a dynamic situation to score or prevent a try. Keep your players thinking about which skills to use to be successful. In this case, good evaion, closing down the space, using the support player, running in support. MORE
Score a tag try
U7 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 2
ACTIVITY: SCORING A TRY
- Divide your players into teams of four. Put the teams into lines, each line about 3m apart, on one side of the area. The player at the front of each line holds a ball.
- When you say “go”, the first player in each team runs to the other side of the area, scores a try (see below for the correct technique) and then runs back to his team. He gives the ball to his next team mate who repeats the move.
- Each player goes twice. When the last player returns the second time, he gives the ball to the front player and everyone sits down.
- Develop by making the player score the try in the middle of the area, run to the end before turning to pick up the ball and give it to his team mate.
Laws of rugby
In tag rugby, a player…
- Must not dive to score.
- Can score with one step after being tagged.
What you say
“Touch the ball down using both sides”
How many players do I need?
You can run this game with as many teams of four as you like – just remember to space the teams about 3m apart.
You will need
- 1 ball for every four players
- 4 cones
- 1 tag belt for each player