Here are some solutions and training methods to introduce your team to playing on a bigger pitch. MORE
Run past defenders
U8 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 3
ACTIVITY: RUN TO SPACE
- Divide your players into two teams of four – make one team attackers, the other defenders. Position the teams at opposite ends of the area – attackers start behind the end line and the defenders start in the middle of their half of the area.
- Give a ball to one of the attackers. When you say “go”, the ball carrier runs forward and aims to score without being tagged. He can score either by crossing the sideline beyond the halfway line or by reaching the end of the area.
- As the attacker comes forward, the defenders are allowed to move, but they must stay in their half of the area. Their aim is to tag the attacker.
- Attackers earn 2 points for scoring over the end or 1 point for scoring at the side. All four attackers have a go before you swap attackers and defenders.
What you say
“Use pretend moves and dodges to change direction”
How many players do I need?
You need a minimum of eight players. With greater numbers, increase the size of the area and have bigger teams, or run two games.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 6 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker