Develop players’ skills around the tackle and post-tackle situation. The tackler makes the tackle and then rolls out quickly. The ball carrier aims to present the ball well to prevent the steal (jackle). MORE
Realign fast, attack hard
If you win quick ruck ball you want your backs into position quickly to exploit any spaces. Here’s how to work in threes and find the gaps…
If we win quick ruck ball defences are out of position. And your back line might be too. Because your backs might have chased forward for a possible break before the ruck formed, they need to run back and across before coming forward.
- Put two attackers by the first two poles and a first receiver (probably a 10) beside a 9 who is 5-10m outside the box and to the side.
- Call out which channel to attack.
- The first receiver races across to that channel before coming forward and square to take the pass.
- The two other backs run back and into position to come forward to take a pass.
- The extra cones help the players line up and run straight.
- As soon as the first group as gone through, have another group set up to repeat.
- Work right-left passing first. Then swap after 10 goes.
- Run quickly to the start point, but ready to come forward straight.
- Don’t drift with the pass.
- Attack with pace, both with the run and the pass.