How to take the ball close to the gain line in attack to put the defence under more pressure. It will exploit quick ball from rucks by putting attackers flat, running angles and offloading before or after the tackle. MORE
Play from the scrum
Use this activity to develop your players’ understanding of their roles and responsibilities from a scrum. You could use this against a scrum machine as well.
Attacking from the scrum needs a good scrummage first, then the forwards to look up and play what’s in front of them. Depending on your numbers at training, you can make this as active a part of your scrum training as scrummaging itself.
- Scrummage against a machine or other forwards, passively if you don’t have enough numbers.
- 8 picks the ball from the scrum, supported by 6 and 7 and attacks into channel 1, with a 3 v 2 against two ruck-pad holders.
- In the meantime, the front five run around a tackle tube and the defending forwards run to the far channel.
- If the 8, 6 and 7 execute the 3 v 2 successfully, they score the try.
- If not, the three back-row players must recycle the ball.
- 9 then passes to the front five to score against the opposition forwards.
- 6, 7 and 8 then act as support runners.
- Adjust the width of the channels to give different pressures.
- Scrummage first, or set up proper profiles.
- Attack with intent to break the gain line.