Once you’ve gone to the tackle line with your attack and have won quick ball, you need to be in shape to attack again quickly. Use this low-impact exercise to realign quickly and efficiently. MORE
Pick and go basics
Add effective pick and go plays to your tactics. Give your players the skills and decision making to use this ploy accurately.
- Put three ruck pad holders at the side of one quarter. You call which channel for the attack to go through
- One of the attackers runs to the gate, with the rest in support
- Either one or two ruck pad holders come forward
- The ball carrier goes to ground at the ruck pad
- If there are two ruck pads defending then another attacker clears the pads
- The next player clears the pad, and the last player picks and goes
- Attackers now enter the next quarter
- Develop by having another ruck pad holder in the “boot”, who the pick and go player has to deal with
This activity takes your players through those first initial steps but also allows you to build on its basic premise more complex and competitive areas.
A 10m square divided into four, six ruck pads, a ball, coned gates numbered 1-3.
HOW TO DO IT
- Three defenders with pads stand in opposite diagonal quarters. Four attackers start from a different quarter. You call which number gate to run through (see picture 1).
- Defenders choose to put 1 or 2 players in at the gate.
- If one is in, the ball carrier hits the ruck pad and goes to ground, One player clears out and the third picks and goes with a fourth in support.
- If two are in, the ball carrier hits and goes to ground, two players clear out and the fourth player picks and goes. The attackers then enter the next quarter and you call another gate for them to enter (see picture 2). Repeat four times then swap round.
- Develop by placing another defender in the “boot” position (5m behind the defender in the gate – see page 3). This allows the pick and go player a chance to practise scanning skills under pressure (see picture 3).
- Pick and go player to scan defence before gathering ball.
- Pick and go player to beat defence with footwork.