Tacklers need to feel confident that the right technique works. This is more difficult when they are practising with static targets. Part of the reason why a ball carrier goes to ground is that they are unbalanced, and so it's much easier to bring a moving player down to the ground. MORE
The Go-forward square drill
Create a team of players who go forward with the ball and find space to attack by using this square-shaped drill.
- Four attackers start at the first corner of the square. They attack down channel 1 against two defenders side-by-side.
- The attackers realign at the start of channel 2 and attack again against two defenders one behind the other.
- They work their way round the 4 channels back to the start.
- Play a game of “new image” touch rugby.
- The ball carrier, once touched, has three seconds to pass the ball.
Carry the ball in two hands – this keeps their options to pass open and keeps the defenders thinking. Move forward and attack space. Support players should get close to the ball carrier. Make short passes to fix defenders and create space.