This drill based practice is designed to get players comfortable receiving the ball at maximum speed. MORE
This quick to set-up game creates enough chaos to make the players think about their catch-and- pass skills under the sort of pressure they might be under in a real match.
Getting players used to using “soft hands” will result in more catches and greater continuity.
- You call either “Blue” or “Red”. The colour called is the defender group. White always attacks.
- Defenders touch their coloured cones while the attack runs to the opposite line (middle picture). Defenders turn and defend against inside players only leaving the widest attacker free.
- The scrum half passes after both defenders have touched their cone. Both defenders advance together.
- Develop by allowing defenders to defend against any player so the attack has to decide on choice and time of pass.
- Arms and fingers reach towards the ball but with a slight bend in the elbows – “shock absorbers”.
- Soft hands to catch it.
- Head beats hands – look where you are passing.
- Bring the ball across the body – do not allow the ball and hands to drop in a U-shape pass