Don’t teach falling over. Teach the players to bounce themselves and therefore the ball off the ground and back into the game. It reduces the fear of falling by making the players embrace the ground as part of a skill for continuity. MORE
3 v 2 repetitions
One of the most important attacking CORE skills is fixing defenders and passing to space, especially for 3 v 2s. Work on the running and passing skills players need so they become good habits in games.
Focus on reasons to pass than just passing – fixing a defender at pace.
- Put a player in each channel, with a feeder to the side (as above).
- Have the ball fed to the first player who must pass before they reach the cone in their channel.
- The second player repeats.
- When the third player receives the ball, they go around their cone and sets up as the feeder for a return passing movement.
- Meanwhile, the other players fill in the empty channels and turn to face back up the channels to repeat.
- Repeat four times before allocating new starting positions.
- Set up four attackers as above, with two in front and two behind at an offset angle. Put two defenders in front of the first two attackers.
- Have the ball fed into the attackers who aim to beat the defenders (using two-handed touch).
- Give the defenders different instructions on how to defend (like rush up, hold back, focus on certain players).
- Run straight, pass the ball across the body.
- Target in front of the receiver, at chest height.
- Pass firm, looking at the receiver.
- Run straight onto the ball (hips facing up the pitch.