Don’t let your attack become stuck in a one-size-fits-all pod of three players. Test the decision-making skills of the team. The three-player pod allows an additional attacking option to open when the defence doesn’t align to match your attack. MORE
3 v 2 repetitions
One of the most important attacking CORE skills is fixing defenders and passing to space, especially for 3 v 2s. Work on the running and passing skills players need so they become good habits in games.
Focus on reasons to pass than just passing – fixing a defender at pace.
- Put a player in each channel, with a feeder to the side (as above).
- Have the ball fed to the first player who must pass before they reach the cone in their channel.
- The second player repeats.
- When the third player receives the ball, they go around their cone and sets up as the feeder for a return passing movement.
- Meanwhile, the other players fill in the empty channels and turn to face back up the channels to repeat.
- Repeat four times before allocating new starting positions.
- Set up four attackers as above, with two in front and two behind at an offset angle. Put two defenders in front of the first two attackers.
- Have the ball fed into the attackers who aim to beat the defenders (using two-handed touch).
- Give the defenders different instructions on how to defend (like rush up, hold back, focus on certain players).
- Run straight, pass the ball across the body.
- Target in front of the receiver, at chest height.
- Pass firm, looking at the receiver.
- Run straight onto the ball (hips facing up the pitch.