My “Find the bib” game is adapted from the game called “Drop-off touch”. It challenges the players to look for mismatches and also create them too. MORE
1 v 1 match ups team game
Every player needs the confidence to carry the ball against all shapes and sizes. Use this activity to give your players lots of opportunities to test out what works.
Because the players will face lots of different opponents they can try out different techniques to beat the player in front of them. Some of these techniques will work for some and not for others.
- Split into two teams.
- One team attacks so every player has at least three runs each.
- Put a receiver in the middle at one end, with a feeder to the side.
- Have a defender at the other end on the corner on the same side as the feeder.
- As soon as the feeder passes the ball, both the players come forward, with the ball carrier aiming to score at the far end.
- Use full tackling.
- After each attack, each player moves to their right.
- The feeder from the previous go becomes the runner.
- The runner from the previous go becomes the feeder in the next box.
- The end players run around to the starting position at the other end of the boxes.
- The tackler moves over one box and waits a go.
- Develop by changing the starting points for defender: For example starting next to the feeder, chasing the receiver or coming from out-to-in.
- Keep going forward even when trying to avoid tacklers.
- Drive the legs in the tackle.
- Don’t use hand-offs – keep the ball in two hands.