Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
VIDEO: Teaching young players the basics within a game
Teach the basics of the game, with a game: playing walking rugby. Stop the game to highlight key areas and ask the players for solutions.
Notice in the video:
- Lots of questions asked.
- Let the players play on from a situation like a maul.
- Sometimes let some mistakes go, to let the game flow.
You can set up scenarios like: “You are 10m from the try line”, or “You have a restart 5m in from the touchline”.
You can check for understanding of the rules for the age group. For example: “How many into a ruck?”, “What is the tackle height?”
Ideas for skills and laws to introduce
- Passing backwards
- Calling for the ball
- Hands out to receive the ball
- Offside after a tackle
- Offside at the ruck or maul
- Who can join a ruck and maul (numbers)
- Ruck and maul techniques
- Tackle techniques