Dan Cottrell speaks to awarding winning coaches Dan Lycett and Ross Williams about their approach to coaching. Dan is head of PE and Sport and Ross is head of Athletic Development at St David's College, in North Wales. They've won the Independent Schools Association award for outstanding sport (small school) and been nominated for the Independent Schools Association award for innovation, recognising their provision during lockdown. We chat about how they have introduced a more ecological approach to their coaching, allowing their players to find meaning and have a more self-determined approach. MORE
Shots, systems & psych: Make all levels of player better defenders
Dan speaks to Bristol Bears defence coach, Omar Mouneimne.
Omar has coached with the Springbok 7s, the Sharks and Stomers Super Rugby teams, the Italian national team, Stade Francais, Edinburgh, Worcester Warriors as well as plenty of consultancy work.
He set up his coaching website, Whistle-2-Whistle during lockdown, which provides lots of defence coaching resources, plus support and growth leadership for coaches.
In the podcast Omar and Dan cover these topics:
- What do you look for when you first arrive at a new club
- How do change weak tacklers into great tacklers
- How do you energise players to become better defenders
- What are the key techniques good defenders need
- Why do you NOT coach low tackles for young players when the start their tackle journey
- What system do you use at the ruck
- How do you change players into skilful defenders who make better decisions
- Why shouldn’t use tackle tubes and ruck shields
- How do you balance contact time in training with keeping fresh for games