In the third part of a session, after a warm-up game and then a skill drill, introduce a skill game. The game is still focused on the objective. It gives the players a chance to explore the skill in the context of the game and see why it is relevant. MORE
Managing the complexity of coaching
Jamie Taylor, former head of academy at Leicester Tigers and now working with English Institute of Sport, challenges us to be better as coaches.
In this podcast, we discuss the following areas:
- How to manage the complexity of coaching
- Your coaching approach must suit the developmental needs of the players
- How former players can make great coaches
- Different language and outcomes for different players
- What are the best ways we can intervene into coaching situations
- The importance of using delayed feedback
- Why “drills” (not his word!) can play an important role in skill development
- How a tackle pad is still valid for contact work, but in the right context
He challenges himself, says we need to challenge ourselves and always make coaching interventions for a specific reason, not just because we’ve seen someone else do it.