Dave Collins is a Professorial Fellow at the University of Edinburgh and director at Grey Matters Performance Ltd. As an academic, Dave has over 350 peer review publications and 70 books/chapters. As a practitioner, he has worked with over 80 World or Olympic medallists plus professional teams and performers. He has coached to national... MORE
Si Nainby’s Deep Dive with Pete Arnott
Si Nainby deep dives with Pete Arnott. Pete is a golf coach with a research interest in skill acquisition.
In this episode we discuss:
- What is skill and what does it mean to be skilful?
- Why did coaching become so de-contextualised?
- Simplification not Decomposition – why we should build skills by simplifying tasks rather than breaking down techniques.
- The issues around de-contextualising practice by using artificial coaching tools such as a lineout net or a bowling machine.
- The concept of Haptic Touch or Extended Mind Theory and how de-contextualised practice can be helpful in building attunement.
- Pete’s approach to introducing novices to a sport and how he builds relationships.
- How to identify “Rate Limiters” with intermediate players: the key things that will most quickly improve their game.
- What role does the player’s intuition play in the coaching process?
- How walking a mile in your player’s shoes (figuratively) helps co-creation of great practice environments.
- How consequences can have a huge impact on development – Ed Coughlan, https://twitter.com/DrSkillAcq, has been a big help to Pete in his work on individualising consequences.
- How Pete uses the Constraints Led Approach – learnings from his biggest mistakes.
- Using sounds, rhythms and verbal cues to influence sessions.
- The impact of technology and data in coaching.
- How Pete uses video review.
- Pete’s new project – Train like a Tiger – lessons from Tiger Woods development
Links to books and videos mentioned:
9mins 30s – Inside the All Blacks by Robin McConnell – https://amzn.to/39MeyP2
16mins – Cristiano Ronaldo Documentary – https://youtu.be/4achmhzLNoY
16mins 50s – Jennie Finch strikes out Albert Pujols – https://youtu.be/gm9iZnqGMvY
18mins 30s – Ross Pinder Paper on Bowling Machine Technique – http://bit.ly/PinderBowlingMachineResearch
20mins 50s – Andy Clark Extended Mind Theory – http://bit.ly/ExtendedMindTheory
47mins 30s – How Wolves change rivers – https://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q
55mins 25s – Will Stubbs – https://twitter.com/WillStubbs1
59mins – The Pressure Principle by Dave Alred – https://amzn.to/36HTqrj
59mins 45s – The Checklist Manifesto – https://amzn.to/3cAWvx0
1hr 20mins 50s – The Language of Coaching: The Art & Science of Teaching Movement by Nick Winkleman –https://amzn.to/39POP84
1hr 37mins – Elite coaching and the technocratic engineer by Shaun Williams & Andrew Manley –http://bit.ly/TechnocratEngineer
Also – ‘We’re not run on Numbers, We’re People, We’re Emotional People’ by Shaun Williams & Andrew Manley –http://bit.ly/WeArePeopleNotNumbers
1hr 37mins 45s – The Hawthorne Effect – http://bit.ly/HawthorneEffct
Website – www.peterarnottgolf.com
Twitter – https://twitter.com/PeterArnottGolf
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/peterarnottgolf/
Train Like a Tiger – https://www.trainlikeatiger.com/
A Constraints-Led Approach to Golf Coaching – https://amzn.to/39LSnZ2