Si Nainby deep dives with Sam Portland. Sam is a strength and conditioning coach and performance consultant who has worked for Wasps and Ealing Trailfinders. He's consulted with Kenya 7's and many individual pro-players from NFL to bobsleigh. MORE
Si Nainby’s Deep Dive with Pete Arnott
Si Nainby deep dives with Pete Arnott. Pete is a golf coach with a research interest in skill acquisition.
In this episode we discuss:
- What is skill and what does it mean to be skilful?
- Why did coaching become so de-contextualised?
- Simplification not Decomposition – why we should build skills by simplifying tasks rather than breaking down techniques.
- The issues around de-contextualising practice by using artificial coaching tools such as a lineout net or a bowling machine.
- The concept of Haptic Touch or Extended Mind Theory and how de-contextualised practice can be helpful in building attunement.
- Pete’s approach to introducing novices to a sport and how he builds relationships.
- How to identify “Rate Limiters” with intermediate players: the key things that will most quickly improve their game.
- What role does the player’s intuition play in the coaching process?
- How walking a mile in your player’s shoes (figuratively) helps co-creation of great practice environments.
- How consequences can have a huge impact on development – Ed Coughlan, https://twitter.com/DrSkillAcq, has been a big help to Pete in his work on individualising consequences.
- How Pete uses the Constraints Led Approach – learnings from his biggest mistakes.
- Using sounds, rhythms and verbal cues to influence sessions.
- The impact of technology and data in coaching.
- How Pete uses video review.
- Pete’s new project – Train like a Tiger – lessons from Tiger Woods development
Links to books and videos mentioned:
9mins 30s – Inside the All Blacks by Robin McConnell – https://amzn.to/39MeyP2
16mins – Cristiano Ronaldo Documentary – https://youtu.be/4achmhzLNoY
16mins 50s – Jennie Finch strikes out Albert Pujols – https://youtu.be/gm9iZnqGMvY
18mins 30s – Ross Pinder Paper on Bowling Machine Technique – http://bit.ly/PinderBowlingMachineResearch
20mins 50s – Andy Clark Extended Mind Theory – http://bit.ly/ExtendedMindTheory
47mins 30s – How Wolves change rivers – https://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q
55mins 25s – Will Stubbs – https://twitter.com/WillStubbs1
59mins – The Pressure Principle by Dave Alred – https://amzn.to/36HTqrj
59mins 45s – The Checklist Manifesto – https://amzn.to/3cAWvx0
1hr 20mins 50s – The Language of Coaching: The Art & Science of Teaching Movement by Nick Winkleman –https://amzn.to/39POP84
1hr 37mins – Elite coaching and the technocratic engineer by Shaun Williams & Andrew Manley –http://bit.ly/TechnocratEngineer
Also – ‘We’re not run on Numbers, We’re People, We’re Emotional People’ by Shaun Williams & Andrew Manley –http://bit.ly/WeArePeopleNotNumbers
1hr 37mins 45s – The Hawthorne Effect – http://bit.ly/HawthorneEffct
Website – www.peterarnottgolf.com
Twitter – https://twitter.com/PeterArnottGolf
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/peterarnottgolf/
Train Like a Tiger – https://www.trainlikeatiger.com/
A Constraints-Led Approach to Golf Coaching – https://amzn.to/39LSnZ2