"If you can't connect with people don't expect to make a change" WARNING: This podcast does include swearing. Johnny O'Connor is a strength and conditioning coach with Connacht Rugby. He previously played for the province as well as Wasps and Ireland. MORE
Si Nainby’s Deep Dive with Mark Williams
Si Nainby delivers a two-part podcast with Mark Williams. He is interim Lead Strength & Conditioning Coach for Basketball England, a Lecturer in Sports Science and former Head of S&C for GB Basketball & Southend United FC.
1. The commute: Some quickfire takeaways
- Mark’s story from semi-pro rugby player to a professional S&C coach
- Lessons from the Covid lockdown
- The value in focussing on the basics of movement
2. The Deep Dive
- The story behind Mark’s PhD and why player autonomy became central to his thinking
- The Paradox of S&C – How can the controlled environment of the gym carry over to the chaos of sport?
- Completing the circle – Marks’ evolution of thinking, from questioning the importance of S&C to the role he now sees it playing in developing players
A note from Si:
At the end, we talk about degeneracy and I had redundancy on my brain, as I’d been reading about it that day, and gave the wrong definition. This is what I should have said: Degeneracy is the ability of elements that are structurally different to perform the same function or yield the same output.