Si Nainby deep dives with Pete Arnott. Pete is a golf coach with a research interest in skill acquisition. MORE
Si Nainby’s Deep Dive: The use of painkillers and drugs in rugby
Alan Dymock is Features Editor of Rugby World Magazine. He specialises in long-reads and detailed studies, as well as stories of far-flung events and quirky characters.
In this Deep Dive, we discuss Alan’s features on pain killer and performance-enhancing drug use in rugby.
- Alan’s playing background & how he transitioned to journalism
- Why Alan decided to investigate doping
- Did Alan have any apprehension about investigating such a thorny issue?
- Where did the investigation start?
- Why do players take banned substances?
- Pain killer use and the slippery slope of their use
- The advances in medical science that have occurred around pain & how we should be looking to the long term and psychological interventions Issues around Therapeutic Use Exemptions
- Is there a genuine appetite to catch drug cheats?
- How we should be looking to prevent use rather than catching cheats
- Why we need to constantly re-visit the discussion around doping
- How widespread is doping in rugby?
The features we discuss can be found here:
Doping in rugby: a Rugby World investigation – https://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/france-countries/doping-rugby-41475
Playing through the pain: an investigation into painkiller use in rugby – https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/blogs/playing-pain-investigation-painkiller-use-rugby-77805
Chronic Pain, Cannabis & Rugbyhttps://www.rugbyworld.com/featured/chronic-pain-cannabis-rugby-113821
All of Alan’s investigations can be found here –https://www.rugbyworld.com/tag/investigation
Informed Sport Supplement Check Service – https://www.wetestyoutrust.com/
England Rugby Anti Doping & Illicit Drugs – https://www.englandrugby.com/governance/anti-doping-and-illicit-drugs