Women's Rugby Coaching magazine editor, Jess Bunyard, goes to the very top of the English game to chat with Simon Middleton and Amy Turner. MORE
Coaching Laid Bare Episode Six with Karen Findlay
Liza Bird Burgess and LJ Lewis discuss a round of questions about the practicalities of the game. In this episode, they are with Karen Findlay, known to most in the game as Jocko, who is joint-head coach at Harlequins Ladies.
Jocko captained Scotland over 50 times and played in three World Cups, winning 85 caps in the process. She went on to coach Richmond Ladies to five titles in the Premiership before joining London-based Quins in 2017, leading then to cup success in her first season.
She also works as a Chief Superintendent with the Metropolitan Police.
In this episode, they discuss the following:
- Shared head coach responsibility: the pros and cons.
- How much player input do you allow in developing the way you play?
- How do you create your own identity in an already established brand?
- What are the overlaps with a professional career and the coaching world: Leadership, strategic direction, people management, language.
- How do you use these overlaps to your advantage?
- How do you transition a player to front row?