Bird and LJ welcome Kate Burke, Lead Pathway Analyst with England Rugby. Kate has an MSc in Sports Analysis. After working in Wales with academy teams, she moved to the RFU in 2008, working with U18s and covering the men's teams. She then joined Bath for two years as head of analysis, before returning to the RFU to oversee analysis provision across the pathway, women's, 7's and referees' departments. MORE
Coaching Laid Bare Episode Eight with Kim Oliver
Liza “Bird” Burgess and LJ Lewis discuss a round of questions about the practicalities of the game. In this episode, they are with Kim Oliver.
Kim is currently in her fourth season as head coach at Premiership team Bristol Women’s team. She won 43 caps for England as a centre, worked as a community coach with Bath and spent two years in Gibraltar as a rugby development officer.
In the podcast, they covered the following topics:
- What have been your biggest lesson you have learnt, transitioning from player to coach?
- How would you introduce your defence philosophy/structure to your players? As the season progresses how would you measure the success of your philosophy/structure?
- How would you build confidence in a player around tackle/collision skills?
- What ideas do you have on structuring your training session, to ensure you cover your attack and defence philosophies? E.g. how you use your coaching team, defence/attack is coached at the same time, games/drills/skill isolation.
- What does a successful defence look like?