In the third part of a session, after a warm-up game and then a skill drill, introduce a skill game. The game is still focused on the objective. It gives the players a chance to explore the skill in the context of the game and see why it is relevant. MORE
Coach like a champion: Vital insights into how to improve learning
Doug Lemov, author of Teach Like a Champion and world-renowned educational speaker, shows us how we can use simple and effective techniques on the practice ground. He has worked with sports organisations as well as his crucial work in the classroom context to create better learning outcomes.
He’s studied thousands of hours footage and observed teachers and coaches in wide range of situations. His work is a reflection of the best practice at work.
In this podcast, we discuss:
- Why the classroom and sports field share so much common ground
- Why most weekly planning goes wrong
- How to mix up your training programme to create deeper learning
- How to correct mistakes effectively and quickly
- Using “Cold calling” for engagement and your own checkpoints
- Using “Turn and talk” to improve communication skills
- Using “Wait time” to help feedback
- How to avoid “rounding up” poor answers
To find out more about Teach Like a Champion, go to
Also, his sports blog