Liza Bird Burgess and LJ Lewis discuss a round of questions about the practicalities of the game. In this episode they are with former Ireland international Sophie Spence, who is now coaching Penclawdd mens team. MORE
Coach like a champion: Vital insights into how to improve learning
Doug Lemov, author of Teach Like a Champion and world-renowned educational speaker, shows us how we can use simple and effective techniques on the practice ground. He has worked with sports organisations as well as his crucial work in the classroom context to create better learning outcomes.
He’s studied thousands of hours footage and observed teachers and coaches in wide range of situations. His work is a reflection of the best practice at work.
In this podcast, we discuss:
- Why the classroom and sports field share so much common ground
- Why most weekly planning goes wrong
- How to mix up your training programme to create deeper learning
- How to correct mistakes effectively and quickly
- Using “Cold calling” for engagement and your own checkpoints
- Using “Turn and talk” to improve communication skills
- Using “Wait time” to help feedback
- How to avoid “rounding up” poor answers
To find out more about Teach Like a Champion, go to
Also, his sports blog