Dan Cottrell speaks to Jess Bunyard, Andy Stevens and Jamie Green about their approaches to Return to Play. Jess is director of women and girls rugby and RDO at Huddersfield YMCA RFC. Andy is chair of mini and juniors at Ellingham and Ringwood RFC. Jamie is director of rugby at Royston RFC. They all coach across a wide range of age groups. MORE
A vision for women’s game and coaching a men’s team
Sophie Spence, former Irish XV’s and 7’s rugby international player and now coach of Penclawdd Men’s Division 1 team, talks about her coaching journey as a converted netball player with Liza “Bird” Burgess.
Her passion, love and enthusiasm for the game shines through the podcast, along with her relentless drive to become a better coach.
In the pod, Bird and Sophie discuss:
- Moving late from netball to rugby, and how sports skills can transfer
- From international rugby player into coaching, women’s and men’s
- Moving the game into becoming professional
- Advice to aspiring coaches
- How to learn from listening to others, and being vulnerable
- Frustrations in developing the game
- Creating a girls rugby academy
- The differences between women’s and men’s rugby coaching
- Coaching a men’s team in Wales