"If you can't connect with people don't expect to make a change" WARNING: This podcast does include swearing. Johnny O'Connor is a strength and conditioning coach with Connacht Rugby. He previously played for the province as well as Wasps and Ireland. MORE
A vision for women’s game and coaching a men’s team
Sophie Spence, former Irish XV’s and 7’s rugby international player and now coach of Penclawdd Men’s Division 1 team, talks about her coaching journey as a converted netball player with Liza “Bird” Burgess.
Her passion, love and enthusiasm for the game shines through the podcast, along with her relentless drive to become a better coach.
In the pod, Bird and Sophie discuss:
- Moving late from netball to rugby, and how sports skills can transfer
- From international rugby player into coaching, women’s and men’s
- Moving the game into becoming professional
- Advice to aspiring coaches
- How to learn from listening to others, and being vulnerable
- Frustrations in developing the game
- Creating a girls rugby academy
- The differences between women’s and men’s rugby coaching
- Coaching a men’s team in Wales