Use this activity to develop running forwards with the ball in two hands, and aiming to evade an oncoming defender. MORE
Pass and win
- Players develop some easy catch-and-pass skills before improving their evasive and speed skills.
- Shout “Pass” to trigger a pass from each player
- The players face each other, passing on the command “Pass”
- When you shout “Turn”, the current ball carrier turns and races to the nearest line
- The non-ball carrier chases the ball carrier, aiming to tag the ball carrier before he reaches the end of the box
- The players face towards a touchline, so they are passing across their bodies
- This time, shout “play” and the current ball carrier runs towards the end of the box (try line) behind the non ball carrier
React quickly to score or tag your opponent.
HOW TO DO IT
- Pairs of players stand about 1m apart with a ball, facing the touchline.
- Shout “pass” and the ball carrier pass to the other player. Repeat at an even pace.
- Shout “turn”. The current ball carrier turns and sprints for the line.
- The other player chases them, trying to tag them before they score.
- Swap the pairings.
- Make the passes longer and call “turn” when the ball is in the air.
- The players stand facing a touchline, so they are now passing across their body.
- Instead of shouting “turn”, shout “play” and the ball carrier has to run to the line in front of them, not behind them.
- Have two pairs facing each other with a ball and pass it around this square formation. If you shout turn, the pair with the ball have to score.
- The players pass the ball across their body, following through with the hands.
- The try scorer puts the ball down correctly (depends if they are allowed to dive at this age).
- Though the players will turn to face each other, encourage them to face you so they are passing across their bodies.