Develop your players’ go-forward skills with evasion in this competitive scenario. It’s easy to set up and you can add lots of variations. Even though some of the players will “cheat” by not exactly stepping to the side of the cones, their swerves and go-forward will help them replicate these skills in a match situation. MORE
Now you see me…
Improve the players’ lateral agility and then speed with this reaction race. It starts simply, but the variations will create challenges for all the participants.
- A ball carrier moves laterally between two cones
- The defender mirrors them
- Once the ball carrier goes past the cone, it’s race to the line
- Add in another attacker and defender. They move but either helping or hinder the sight of the attacker and defender
- Give the extra attacker a ball. He or she is now marked by the outside defender, while the outside attacker is marked by the inside defender
WHY USE IT
All players need to be able to move in a balanced way side-to-side, especially in defensive situations.
A 15m box, cones, and a couple of balls.
HOW TO DO IT
- A ball carrier and defender face each other about 5m apart in the middle of the box.
- The ball carrier moves laterally between the cones. Once they have stepped beyond the cones they must make a run for one of the lines. The defender aims to beat them to that line.
- Either you or a line judge calls if they’ve stepped over the line to trigger the race.
- Put another attacker and defender between the original players. They move side-to-side as well, aiming to block the view of the opposition.
- Give the other attacker a ball. Now the inside defender marks the outside attacker and the outside defender marks the inside attacker. Each attacker triggers their own defender, not both.