A strong, stable scrum provides an excellent platform for attacking play or effectively clearing your lines. Yet training this crucial area is never easy since you may not have all your scrum players available or access to a scrum machine. So, here are some practical solutions to build a stronger scrum. MORE
Hot river passing
Encourage players to move and support with this fun movement game.
By Dan Cottrell
- Pairs of players run out to their ball when you shout “hot river”
- Place the balls so the players have an equal chance of getting to at least two islands
- The ball carrier aims to get to island within five seconds
- Once all the players on are an island (if inside five seconds), countdown from three and the ball carrier has to pass the ball to their partner. Then start the game again
- No more than one ball carrier on each island
- Add in defenders who aim to tag the ball carrier
- The islands are safe. Once all the islands are occupied, then the defenders reset and you repeat
Support the ball carrier, while the ball carrier is aware of their support.
A 10m wide corridor, and cones for boxes.
HOW TO DO IT
- Set up four (or more) safe islands in the hot river.
- Have pairs of players at the side of the river, with their ball in the river somewhere.
- When you shout go, they go and pick up the ball and find a free island. Count down from five as they do.
- If they are not on an island when you are stopped counting to five, then they lose a life.
- Once all the players are on an island, count down from three seconds and the players have to pass the ball to a team mate, otherwise they lose a life. If a player drops a pass, they have until you have finished counting to three to retrieve it. The incentive is to pass the ball once they are on the island.
- Shout “hot river” and then the ball carrier runs to the next island.
- No two players with a ball can occupy an island.
- Reduce the number of islands to the same number of pairs.
- Add in two defenders who aim to tag a ball carrier. They always start on the edge of the river after every go.