Women's Rugby Coaching magazine editor, Jess Bunyard, goes to the very top of the English game to chat with Simon Middleton and Amy Turner. MORE
VIDEO: Ruck attack latch
Develop your pick-and-go game against an organised ruck defence. Hartpury Womens coach, James Forrester, introduces this three-player move to create some go-forward momentum.
- Put three ruck-holder close together.
- Set up three attackers with the ball on the ground in front of the first attacker. The shape will represent their positions for this pick-and-go play.
- The first attacker picks up the ball and drives forward into the oncoming pads. The inside pad holder should be very low.
- The outside attacker “latches” onto the ball carrier, driving with them. The inside ball carrier helps but remains loose to be able to protect the ball carrier when they go to ground.
Repeat and then change the sides of the attack.
- Attack outside the first defender.
- Hips up the pitch, ball on chest, low into contact.
- Latcher, drive beyond the ball, second supporter, “seal” at the ball.