Improve your players’ understanding of their roles to make sure you can retrieve kicks and attack space when in possession. Play with your Terms and Conditions, not the kicking teams’. When a team kicks into space, the defending team needs to communicate and fan out so it can run back at spaces. MORE
Use this handling game as an ideal warm-up to enhance handling, as well as challenge the players to innovate.
- Set up four 3m squares, about 1-2m apart. Put a player in each square.
- Use two balls at the same time.
- The ball carrier aims to bounce the ball in another player’s square.
- That’s worth one point.
- The winner is the first to 10 points.
- The players must stay in their boxes unless they are fetching a ball. The game continues even though they are fetching the ball. You fetch a ball that has entered your square.
- They are no points if a player leaves the square.
- Once the player makes a throw, they must touch a cone. You could make this that they touch a different cone around the box after each throw.
- Add bonus points for creative ways to catch or block the ball. For example, a one-handed catch or catching with both feet or kicking into another square.
We allowed other players to drop the ball into an empty square if the player was still collecting the ball. This mainly because of the laughter it caused!