A quickly executed attack from turnover possession causes the opposition problems. This activity focuses on players’ decision making after winning turnover possession. MORE
Turn slow ball into quick ball using a technique called “turbo ball”. In essence, instead of the ball carrier going forward on his own a support player binds on to him and together they drive into contact.
Warm up time: 5-7
Session time: 5-7
Development time: 8-12
Game time: 10-15
Warm down time: 5-7
What to think about
Turbo ball works well for teams with smaller players, who want to create quick ball from rucks.
One player binding onto another in contact has two major benefits:
- You get more power from two players driving forward instead of one.
- The ball carrier doesn’t get isolated. As soon as he goes to ground the support player is there to drive over the ball and secure it.
Effectively and securely, slow ball is then turned into quick ball.
- The supporter binds onto the ball carrier just before contact.
- Together they drive low and hard into the tackle.
- The ball carrier should go to ground while they are still moving forwards.
What you get your players to do
Set up an imaginary ruck with cones or pads and ball at the back. Get an attacker to pick up the ball from the back of this ruck. He runs round the side, keeping low, towards a defender with a ruck pad held low.
Just before contact a second attacker binds onto him and they drive the pad back. The ball carrier goes to ground and presents the ball and the support player drives over the top. The next pair of attackers repeats the “turbo ball” technique into another pad.
- Add a second defender behind the pad holder to provide extra resistance for the driving attackers.
- The attacker who picks up the ball gives a pop pass to the next attacker and then follows him into contact to provide the “turbo” drive.
Split into two teams of five and play full contact rugby. The attacking team start at the end of the channel and have to get as far up the channel as they can in 30 seconds. If there is an infringement or the team go out of play, restart from that point. Swap the teams over and see if the second team can beat their distance.
Teams get a bonus two metres added to their final distance recorded each time they use a “turbo ball” drive.
What to call out
- “Heads up and backs straight to get the most effective drive.”
- “Supporter: drive over the ball carrier and clear beyond the ball.”
- “Ball carrier: present the ball as far back as you can.”