This fun session will challenge your players to execute their evasion, defensive and support skills finishing with a try. Good for all levels, as a session energiser or a skills workout. MORE
Subtle changes of angle at full speed help the ball carrier beat defenders who don’t have time to adjust or are set to make the tackle. It can be used either as a one-onone skill or against an organised defence, to break the line.
Gliding maintains the player’s balance, so he can pass at pace as well.
Warm up time: 7-10
Session time: 10-15
Development time: 10-15
Game time: 10-15
Warm down time: 7-10
What to think about
- Are the player’s movements smooth and balanced or stop-start and jerky?Start with the player running in a straight line at speed. Then add one cone on the ground so the player is running on an arc. Once they have achieved this at speed and balance, add two more cones.
- Do the players transfer the ball into the near arm as they beat the defender?If the ball is held in two hands and the defender gets hold of the player, they may be able to knock the ball out of their grip. Remind the player to practise moving the ball into one hand while going past the cones.
- Get into a fast running rhythm, gliding between the cones.
- Hold the ball in two hands. Move it to keep your balance as you glide past the markers.
What you get your players to do
Split your players into two groups lined up at one end of the box. On your signal the first two players in each group race to get to the far end of the practice area. One group run in a straight line, the other swerve round two cones, placed to ensure some change of direction, but not to affect the speed of running greatly.
The players running through the cones have to swerve and keep their balance, speed and smoothness, as they glide through the practice area.
In the same box, one of the groups becomes the defenders. Start one defender in the far corner. Start an attacker in the middle of the side of the box. He sprints across using his evasion skills to beat the defender.
Set out different starting points along the side of the box to challenge players of different speeds. Use two handed touch tackling to begin with.
Split the players into a 5 v 3. Start the defending team at one corner of the pitch.
On your signal they run into the game area to defend. The attacking team start in an offensive alignment and move the ball to the far side to score in the corner. However, with the defending team covering across, there’s an opportunity for an attacker to glide at speed inside a couple of defenders to break through and score in the middle.
What to call out
- “Lean into the cones like a skier on the slalom”
- “Smooth and flowing. Glide over the ground”
- “Just because there is some change in direction, don’t let it affect your running style”