Use this session to develop simple “catch and pass” skills to fix defenders and put the free player away – after reacting quickly to where the ball has come from. Don’t forget to run straight! MORE
Dummy scissors pass
Dummy scissors pass (DSP) is a simple move that can be used by all the players, not just the back line. It is still used by the top sides in a number of situations. These teams have added extra decoy runners and other variations, but at the core is the DSP.
This move will add an attacking edge to your team from all phases.
Warm up time: 7-10
Session time: 5-8
Development time: 10-15
Game time: 15-20
Warm down time: 7-10
What to think about
The objective of playing this pass is to penetrate an organised defence. Changing running angles in addition to the dummy scissors will, at worst, check the defenders, if not cause their formation to break.
The key to success is the angle of run and the weight of pass given to the receiver. This is where the passer must give a quality, sympathetic pass as the receiver is focusing on finding space and using an angle of run to beat the defence.
Ensure your passer is aware of this and adjusts the delivery of the ball to the receiver.
- The first movement to the DSP is the dummy scissors. Ensure both ball carrier and dummy runner look convincing.
- The receiver needs to commit to his angle of run – tight or wide.
What you get your players to do
Organise the players into groups of three in an attacking line, with a ruck pad or poles opposite each player acting as a defensive line of three defenders. Each group of three attacks the pads/ poles using a dummy scissors pass.
Ensure all the players start in a different position so they experience each role. Vary the length of pass so the defence is beaten with a tight angle of run and a wide angle.
- Add three defenders with ruck pads who can also move forward to defend. This will alter the attack’s timing and add a little pressure.
- Use live tackling with three defenders and the three attackers performing the DSP.
- Add two more attackers and perform the DSP after one, two or three lateral passes.
- Continue to add the extra decoy elements, with deeper players calling for inside or long passes.These players can make decoy runs either inside or out.
Split your squad into two teams of eight. Play a contact game with all re-starts being a tap and pass. All attacks from a re-start or off a ruck/ maul must include a dummy scissors pass or a scissors. However, it does not need to be off the first pass.
Two or three passes can be made, and then the DSP. Or it could be done with no first pass, using the clearing passer who dummy scissors and passes.
What to call out
- “Switch fast and accelerate”
- “Turn your body, hide the ball”
- “Nice, soft weighted pass”
- “Look up and decide early”
- “Angle in, angle out”
- “Hit the ball at full pace”